Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chapter 3: Old Friend

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I've been playing this for a little bit, and I found something that I've been tying to figure out for story telling. The goal of my challenge was to try not to make your own Sims, but I found it a bit wierd for when I wanted to tell a part of the story where in my other stories, I would normally build a lot and populate it with Sims. My problem I ran into was I started off the story with a text to his boss. I got the idea from the Sim wishing to text his boss, the boss being barely an acquaintance, and the fact that he was in Business Career Level 1. So then I wrote some stuff about how his boss talked to him and stuff at work about his text. Problem was, boss was a townie too, but I'm not playing her household, and I was trying to avoid the whole "Add Sim to Household" cheat just to get pics, so basically I have no way to get pics of him at work with his boss. LOL. It drove me nuts in chapter two that there were no pictures to match that portion of text. I was thinking maybe for the future, I should either not write about his job, but it's a part of his life since he's a single Sim and he doesn't have a whole lot to talk about, or I should allow for lots to be built and populated Sims of your own creation, so long as the townie you're playing doesn't get involved romantically with them. 
So... FYI... there might be lots built with populated Sims  for Benjamin in order for me to tell his story effectively. :D

Tuesday came and went, with Ms. Marshall giving me a promotion to Filing Clerk. I was proud of myself, even though I knew I was still at the bottom of the hierarchy in the corporation. At the same time, it felt good knowing I had climbed one rung of the invisible ladder. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing I would no longer have to wait in those long lines at Starbucks to get all the suits at the office their morning lattes, cappuccinos, and mochas. When I got home, Ralston seemed restless because I found her running around in a circle, tracing a path along the walls that enclosed my kitchen. In order to prevent her from wearing a trail in my carpet, I hooked her leash on her and took her for a walk so she could get some fresh air. Come to think of it, both of us needed some refreshment.


After hooking Ralston's leash to her collar, we started walking, and I started thinking about my life. I wasn't old by any means, twenty-three, to be exact. I had never gone to college because my parents couldn't afford it, but to be honest, the sound of being in school as a grownup was pretty unappealing. My dad was an auto mechanic, and he ran his own car repair shop, while my mom was a waitress at the local diner. Our life was simple, I was the typical small town guy, and I still lived in the same town my parents did. I worked on cars with my dad when I was a boy, and when I got old enough, he let me work at his repair shop. As a result, I've become pretty handy in all aspects of the word. It's a good skill to have when you grow up not having a lot of money.


At eighteen, I moved out of my parents' small house and bought one of my own with the money I had saved up working for Dad. Ralston was our family dog, and my parents let her come with me so I wouldn't be lonely living alone. I continued working at my Dad's repair shop for about two years, even though I had moved out, but when I was twenty, Dad was beginning to grow concerned. He wanted better things for me, and he felt like me working at his shop wasn't going to allow me to achieve those things. I felt bad because I somehow felt like I had a sense of duty to my father to help him since he had always been so kind to me and he always did the best he could to see that I had what I needed despite our situation. Dad said he admired my good heart, and he admitted that he would be losing one of his best mechanics, but he couldn't and wouldn't hold me back anymore.


I agreed, even though at first I was sad for him and I didn't really think he was holding me back. I didn't think the life of an auto mechanic was that bad, but over time, I realized my dad felt bad for raising me poor. He felt like I had missed out on things that he wished he could have given me because of it. I also realized my thinking had been a little stunted. I hadn't been given the opportunity to even know that I could want more than what I had. I always thought what I had was enough, so I didn't really dream that things could be better. It wasn't that I didn't think I deserved it or anything, but it was more like I was satisfied with carbon, without knowing that if I put effort in, I could make it a diamond. I would always be grateful to my dad for that little push that opened my eyes.


So, with my dad's reassurance, I quit working for him, and got a part time job at the grocery store for a year to make some more money so I could buy myself some clothes that were appropriate to interview for more serious jobs. I kept in touch with my dad through emails and phone calls to let him know how I was doing. We were both pretty busy, me with my new office job, and my dad with his repair shop, which had always been really successful. I suppose he was just successful by default because he was the only repair shop in town. I took my car to Dad whenever it needed any maintenance, and I got to talk to him when I did. As I continued walking down the street, I saw my friend Gracie Loveland, who was a few feet in front of me. She hadn't noticed me yet, so I just admired her from a distance. She was a blonde girl that I'd known for a while, whom I was now good friends with. I waited for her to get closer, ready to grab her attention if she didn't see me, but she finally looked up and saw me, and a large grin spread across her face as she did.

"Hey Ben! How are you?"

"I'm okay. What about you?"

"Meh, The usual. Work at the science lab doing nerdy shit, so I'm just out for a walk after being cooped up in the stuffy building all day."


Gracie smiled at me coyly, tucking her hair behind her ear, even though I knew it wasn't going to stay there. I could read the signs of when a girl was flirting with me, and Gracie was definitely doing that, so I decided to take advantage of the situation.

"What are you doing later this week, Gracie? Do you want to hang out?"

"Yeah, sure! That sounds awesome. You have my number, Ben, I'll be looking forward to your call."


Gracie came up close to me, touching my arm and hand seductively, as she walked past me, smiling as she left. I smiled back at her, and I saw her blush. I watched her backside as she walked away, and I swear she was swinging her hips much more than she had been earlier.


12 comments:


  1. I hate Starbucks...The coffee is so strong and it always smells like dirt or potting soil because it's so disgustingly strong in my opinion lol my friend loves that place though. I just feel like my nose is violated every time I walk in there. And they're over priced, I like Dunkin Donuts better. Every time you mentioned Starbucks I just kept thinking about that wretched smell and the long ass lines lol. Thank god Benjamin doesn't have to deal with that anymore...I felt bad for him every time he had to go there lol.

    I understand Benjamin's dad wanting more for him...There's nothing wrong with being a mechanic if that's what makes you happy but every parent wants to see their child do better than them. And he got a promotion so that's good , plus he's only 23 so he has a lot more of his life to live.

    "I was satisfied with carbon, without knowing that if I put effort in, I could make it a diamond." :)

    After you explained his childhood, I understand why he's so frugal now. I just hope he doesn't act that way on dates....That would be a turn off lol. But if he's going to have 10 girlfriends I guess he's going to have to be cheap with one of the lol. Hopefully things go well with Gracie though they both seem to be attracted to eachother so we'll see where this goes...

    I can relate with Benjamin as far as his dad being a mechanic. My dad's a mechanic and he does art work on cars and he could fix almost anything in our old house from the bath tub to the stove...You name it, he fixed it lol.. Even my old PlayStation 2 lol. When I was younger I sat and helped him and every time sparks went flying in the air, I got the out of there lol. My dad always had that 'carbon' smell lol and the last time I went to our old house he changed up the tiles and put all new ones down...I have no idea how he did it but everything was geometrical and perfectly straight....I didn't like it though, seeing the house I grew up in become totally different was quite distasteful in my eyes. I guess I just felt like it was perfect the way it was...Ahhh memories, I swear you always have some character that I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO. I quite like Starbucks, I know I don't smell potting soil when I go in there. Maybe my nose doesn't work as well as yours does. Heehee. I've never tried Dunkin Donuts coffee, hmm, I've seen it at the store, maybe I'll try some one day. The coffee shop I dislike a lot is Seattle's Best. I had a barista make my coffee wrong, like it wasn't even hard, I asked for a caramel latte, and he made me something that tasted really strong and burnt. It was almost like pure espresso with no milk and flavoring. I had no time to get him to fix it at the time, so I just had to drink it. >_< I was NOT happy. LOL.

      Benjamin's dad is a nice person, and he did want Benjamin to follow his potential. Benjamin has a thought process that's common among people who didn't grow up with much, not saying all people who grew up poor think like him, but it's common, where they don't have a whole lot, so they get used to having very little, and then they don't think they want or need more in their life. His dad saw past that, and encouraged him to try harder. Luckily Benjamin took his advice and is working at an office, trying to get himself some more opportunities.

      Aww thanks, I'm glad you liked that line about carbons and diamonds.

      Mm-hmm, now that it's chapter three, and I got over some of those initial beginning growing pains I often have problems with, I'm starting to reveal more of why Benjamin acts the way he does. Haha, well, I guess there are two kinds of cheap people, those who are cheap in certain situations because they know they just don't have the money, and those who are cheap because they're greedy and want to hoard their money, like Scrooge. I don't think Benjamin would purposely be lame and try to be cheap on his date, but he also can't afford a five star restaurant. He's probably going to have to use his head and come up with something that won't turn Gracie off, but also won't break his budget. Haha, yeah, the game gave those swirly attraction hearts when he saw her, so I was like hmm, first girlfriend. XD

      LOL aww, that stinks that you didn't like the changes to your house. Haha, well I'm glad, I try to write personalities that are realistic and interesting at the same time, so I'm happy you feel that way about Benjamin.

      Thank you for reading this, and commenting. :)

      Delete

    2. Well I do have a weird habit of smelling things before I eat it...all my friends and family make fun of me for it lol Idk y I do it but yeah I have a strange nose, I guess. I love the Vanilla chai latte @ DD....OMG delish hot or cold lol and I hate coffee. I've never heard of Seattle's Best but it sounds nasty based off of your experience lmao i hate when things like that happen. Burnt coffee lol I can only imagine.

      I think people should always strive for something better. And Benjamin definitely doesn't seem like one of those extremely cheap people. Have you ever seen that show extreme cheap skates? One guy took his FIANCÉ out to "breakfast", basically he drove his car to some abandoned place and cooked eggs on the car engine with aluminum foil....Absolutely tacky and trashy...And the girl was still happy to get married to him :0 lol.

      Delete
    3. Oh! Hating coffee makes a huge difference in not liking Starbucks. LOL. My hubs doesn't like the smell of coffee either. I actually am the opposite and I hate tea. LOL. Yeah, burnt coffee is.... not good. Not even a little bit.

      Yeah, I have seen Extreme Cheapskates! I saw this one where the woman made her hubs take a shower with drops of water, like she had the water pressure adjusted so it was barely there. That same woman was having a dinner party, and her dinner was made of things she found out of a dumpster. Then she got confused why her friends never wanted to come to her dinner parties anymore. ROFL. Wow... that one you told me about LOL, using the car engine as a stove, that's a new one. A new low. Hahaha.

      Yeah Benjamin is not an extreme cheapskate. LOL. I would slap the shit out of him if he was. XD

      Delete
  2. Lol, I personally like Starbucks, but I guess it can be a pain in the butt when you have to wait in such a long line.
    My dad's not a mechanic, but he's a cook. I don't really like working at the restaurant because it's kinda boring for me, but at least I get free food xD I just hope that I'm not the one tied down to the restaurant, because I'm not a great cook. I guess I can kinda relate to Benjamin, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you and me both. Starbucks is yummy, and I love coffee. Benjamin likes Starbucks too, he just didn't want to be the coffee man for the business anymore. He wanted to do more business type stuff haha, he felt like the maid getting coffee for the more important employees. XD
      Ooh, free food! That's always awesome. LOL. Maybe you can be like Benjamin, and find a different job when the time is right. XD
      Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. I understand how Benjamin feels. It's hard imagining something better when you're happy with the way your life is and everything in it. But sounds like his dad really opened his eyes to other possibilities which was nice. It's encouraging and something every parent should do. Hopefully he figures out what it is he thinks he is missing and what he really wants. Otherwise he'll be spinning his wheels at the top of a corporate ladder and still feel as though he's accomplished nothing.

    For some reason I thought he was really alone in that place; well, aside from Ralston. Nice to know he does have friends he can hang out with whenever he wants. Gracie seems nice. A bit of a flirt and it doesn't appear to be anything Benjamin is interested in at the moment but, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah exactly, when you're happy, then you need that extra push to open your eyes a little. His dad is very nice and wise, and he really did want the best for his son. Benjamin is sort of exploring right now, he mainly wanted to make his own way in the world, now that his dad has encouraged him to go, he just wants to find himself. I don't think Benjamin is the kind of guy to be blinded by success, so he probably won't feel like he's accomplished nothing when he gets further in his career, even if it is in corporate America.

      Ahh, well, I guess that is a normal feeling, since he did start out sort of by himself at a new job, it's not surprising that the first few chapters sort of gave off a lonely vibe. He did stay in the same town where he went to high school, and apparently so did his friend Gracie. :D Him and Gracie have only ever known each other from school, so they never explored the romantic side of stuff. Guess we'll just have to see how hanging out treats them, and if anything happens from it.

      Thank you for looking at my story and leaving me these comments! :)

      Delete
  4. You've been nominated!

    http://codenamedanger.blogspot.com/2015/05/liebster-2.html

    Teehee.

    ReplyDelete